2 cups chopped, fresh or frozen broccoli or cauliflower or 5 oz package of fresh baby spinach
1. In a 3 or 4-quart pot, bring broth to a boil. Reduce heat. Stir in soup mix and optional vegetable additions plus 1 cup broth as needed.
2. Return to a simmer, cover and cook for 30 minutes.
3. Remove from heat. Stir in cream and cheese. Return to stovetop, cover and cook on low for 10 minutes.
4. Stir in cream and cheese, cover and keep on low heat for 10 minutes longer.
5. For thicker soup use a hand immersion blender to puree the soup, or gently mash the vegetables with a fork, stir well and serve.
1. For an elegant summertime meal this soup may be served chilled. Prepare as above, but leave out the cheese and cook 10 minutes longer. Chill soup overnight. 2. Use an immersion blender or potato masher to puree. Serve with a topping of diced cucumber and sour cream on each bowl.