1. Pick through the lentils. Remove discolored, shriveled lentils and any foreign material. Rinse well.
2. Heat olive oil in a 6 or 8-quart pot.
3. Crumble and brown sausage in oil.
4. Stir in contents of Indiana Harvest Sausage and Lentil Soup Mix seasoning packet.
5. Stir in broth and lentils. Bring pot to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 30 minutes.
6. Add tomatoes, zucchini, and red wine. Bring back to a simmer, cover and cook 30 minutes.
For a twist, a box of frozen, chopped spinach may be substituted for the zucchini! This is a beautiful country supper!
To boost vegetables, add 2 cups chopped kale, spinach, or mushrooms in final 30 minutes of cooking time.
To boost fruit, add 3/4 cup raisins or 1 diced apple with tomatoes.
To cut saturated fat and sodium, halve the amount of sausage and prepare with low-fat, lower sodium chicken sausage as substitute for Italian pork sausage, or substitute 1 pound extra lean ground turkey or beef plus ½ teaspoon each salt-free garlic powder, onion powder and black pepper, or go Vegetarian.
To cut sodium, prepare with no salt added canned diced tomatoes and low sodium broth. To cut sodium further, substitute water for half of the broth.
You will use red and green bell pepper, onion, eggplant, and vegetable broth for a delicious soup with a ratatouille twist.
What you need: • 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil • 1 Red Bell Pepper, Chopped into 1-inch chunks • 1 Green Bell Pepper, Chopped into 1-inch chunks • 1 Medium Eggplant, Chopped into 1-inch chunks • 1 Large Onion, Chopped into 1-inch chunks • 12 Cups Vegetable Broth • 1 29-Ounce Can Chopped Tomatoes • 3 Medium Zucchini, Diced • 1 Cup Red Wine Optional: Add more veggies to taste! Feel free to experiment with your favorites.
Here's what you do: 1. Sauté vegetables on medium heat in 6 or 8-quart pot. 2. Rinse, drain and pick over lentils. 3. Add lentils, vegetable packet, and broth to pot. 4. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer covered for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. 5. Add tomatoes and simmer 10 minutes. 6. Serve with grated parmesan cheese.
Slow Cooker Variation
1. In large skillet crumble and brown sausage in oil, stir in contents of seasoning packet. 2. Transfer to bowl of slow cooker and add broth. (May start soup night before and cover and refrigerate overnight.) 3. Rinse, drain and pick over lentils, place into slow cooker and stir well. 4. Cover and cook on High 4-5 hours. 5. Add tomatoes, zucchini and wine and continue on HI 1 hour. *This soup takes less than 2 hours to make on the stove, so the slow cooker may not offer much convenience.
Pressure Cooker Variation
1. Rinse, drain and pick over lentils. 2. On Saute setting heat oil and cook sausage lightly. Use a metal spatula to break up clumps. 3. Stir in lentils, contents of the seasoning packet, 2-3 diced zucchini, 1 28-oz can tomato pieces. 4. Add 4 cups beef broth, but do not exceed the 2/3 capacity on the cook pot. 5. Set the pressure cooker for 20 minutes. 6. Use quick or natural release, open pot and stir in 4 additional cups beef broth, 1 cup red wine and 2 cups water. Stir well. 7. Cook on saute setting with open pot 5-10 minutes and serve.
- Try turkey Italian sausage and use two orange bell peppers or 1 box frozen spinach instead of zucchini. - Add white wine instead of red wine and enjoy a colorful bowl of lentil soup.