KEEPING OUR COMMUNITY & CUSTOMERS SAFE DUE TO COVID-19. We are once again OPEN to walk-in customers and HIGHLY recommend wearing a mask. We will continue to offer curbside pick-up, local delivery (within a 10 mile radius of our store) and of course we are still fulfilling all of your online shipping orders.
2- 3 cups Leftover turkey meat, cut into 1/2 inch cubes may be substituted for chicken
1. In a 4-quart pot melt butter and sauté onion 5 minutes.
2. Add flour or cornstarch, stir continuously for 30 seconds to form paste.
3. Stir in broth and bring to a simmer. Stir until thickened.
4. Add contents of Colorado Campfire Chicken Stew Mix and chicken (or turkey).
5. Bring to a simmer again, cover and cook 30 minutes.
Serve this thick-as-pot pie soup with biscuits on the side!
Soup will thicken if made ahead, may want to add 1 or 2 cups more broth when serving.
To boost and vary vegetables, add 2 cups diced bell peppers, mushrooms, green beans, bok choy or parsnips in final 20 minutes.
To boost whole grains, add a crusty whole grain bread to soup rather than dumplings or chicken pot pie recipe variations suggested on the package or website.
To give a Mediterranean twist, top each serving with 1 tablespoon chopped, unsalted walnuts.
To cut saturated fat, prepare with 4 tablespoons vegetable oil instead of butter and use skinless chicken.
To cut sodium, prepare with low sodium broth. To cut sodium further, substitute water for half of the broth.
Easy Chicken Dumplings: 1. Drop quartered refrigerator biscuits or biscuit batter on top of the stew and simmer, covered. 2. Spoon soup over the top of the dumplings occasionally during the last 20 minutes of cooking.
Chicken Pot Pie Variation 1: The essence of comfort food is a good recipe for Chicken pot pie. For a great way to use leftovers and get 2 meals out of one soup mix, prepare the Colorado Campfire chicken stew per directions on the package.
1. Have soup for supper for 2 to 3, and save the remainder. 2. Refrigerate overnight. Use Pillsbury refrigerator pie crust, two round crusts in each box. 3. Place first crust at bottom of pie pan. 4. Fill with leftover soup, now nice and thick from refrigeration. 5. Top with second sheet of pie crust and bake for 30 to 35 minutes at 350 degrees.
Chicken Pot Pie Variation 2: 1. Put the left over thick soup into an 8 x 8 inch pyrex pan and bake for 20 minutes in 350 degree oven. 2. Remove from oven, top with pop-open refrigerator biscuits (such as Pillsbury Grand biscuits) and bake for 12 to 15 minutes longer until the biscuits are golden.
Slow Cooker Variation
Recommended crock pot: 4 quart.
1. In saucepan on the stove melt butter, add chopped onion and sauté 3 minutes. Stir in flour until thickens into paste. 2. Place mixture into bowl of slow cooker. Add broth and contents of Colorado Campfire Chicken Stew mix. 3. Cut up fresh or slightly frozen chicken breast and add to slow cooker along with freshly ground black pepper. 4. Cover and cook on low setting 6 to 8 hours.