1. In a 3 to 4-quart pot, bring 6 cups chicken broth to a simmer.
2. Reduce heat and add contents of Arizona Sunset Enchilada Soup Mix, 1 cup salsa verde (or green chili enchilada sauce), and chicken.
3. Return to a simmer, cover and cook for 25 minutes. Remove from heat.
4. Add shredded cheese and serve with a lime wedge garnish. Or, for a creamier version, stir in sour cream and enjoy.
When reheating this soup, keep temperature low to avoid cheese sticking to the soup pot.
To boost vegetables, add 1 diced bell pepper and ½ cup diced onions with soup mix.
To give a Mediterranean twist, prepare with 12 ounces cod, shrimp, or mahi-mahi instead of chicken. Add fish or seafood in final 5 minutes of cooking time.
To cut saturated fat, prepare without cheese, and add sliced avocado as topping when serving, and substitute nonfat or low-fat, plain Greek yogurt for sour cream. For the Inventive Variations suggestion on the package and website, prepare with extra lean ground turkey.
To cut sodium, substitute for the salsa or enchilada sauce, 1 can no salt added, diced tomatoes plus 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper and/or 1 tablespoon lime juice, and prepare with low sodium broth. To cut sodium further, substitute water for half of the broth.
You will replace chicken with one large, peeled and diced sweet potato.
You Will Also Need:
• 6 cups vegetable broth
• 1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced
• 1 cup salsa verde or green chili enchilada sauce (choose mild, medium or hot!)
• 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack/cheddar cheese
• Optional: ½ cup sour cream
Here's What You Do:
1. Microwave sweet potato whole for 5 minutes before cutting up
2. In a 3 to 4-quart pot, bring 6 cups vegetable broth to a simmer.
3. Add contents of Arizona Sunset Enchilada Soup Mix, 1 cup salsa verde (or green chili enchilada sauce), and sweet potato.
4. Cover and simmer 25 minutes.
5. Add shredded cheese and serve. Or, for a creamier version, stir in sour cream and enjoy.
(When reheating this soup, keep temperature low to avoid cheese sticking to the soup pot.)
Mexican Turkey Chili Recipe
1. Substitute 1 pound ground turkey for the chicken.
2. Start recipe by sautéing turkey, add in the soup mix and 4 cups chicken broth.
3. Add 1 14-oz can chopped tomatoes or tomato salsa or salsa verde.
4. Bring to a simmer and cover for 25 minutes over low heat.
5. Serve with shredded cheese and sour cream on top.