1. In a 4-quart pot bring broth to a simmer on stovetop.
2. Place fresh butternut squash in microwave bowl, covered, and microwave on high for 6 minutes.
3. Add contents of West Coast Kale & Quinoa Vegetable Soup Mix to soup pot.
4. Stir in tomatoes and partially cooked squash, and cover soup pot. Bring back to a simmer for 25 minutes.
5. Turn off heat and allow to stand for 10 minutes. Serve this delightful whole grains and vegetable soup with crusty white bread.
To boost vegetables, add 1 box of frozen peas or 2 cups fresh, shredded Brussel sprouts in final 10 minutes of cooking time.
To further boost whole grains, serve soup with crusty whole grain bread.
To give a Mediterranean twist, top each serving with 1 tablespoon chopped, unsalted walnuts.
To cut sodium, prepare with no salt added, canned diced tomatoes and low sodium broth. To cut sodium further, substitute water for half of the broth.
For a quinoa-based casserole dish, use four instead of six cups broth and add 2 cups cut up cooked chicken along with the squash and tomatoes. Follow recipe as written and serve with green salad!